Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Plenty of fish part II

I am always weary when a site claims that it is free. It envariably means that you can view content, but if you want to touch, you have to pay out. Not with POF. The sign up process was very easy, if a bit draconian. It would not let you move onto the next section without completing somethingr on the previous section.

It even insisted that it would not create you as a member until you'd unloaded a photo. I've since learnt that others do not have photos. Perhaps they uploaded and then removed it after their profile was created. The photos are loaded immediately and do not go through an "approval" process. Unusually, the site has a no nudity policy. Any dodgy photos will be taken down, and you risk being banned from the site.

So, how does the largest free dating site in England make money?  By using every spare place for adverts. There is no such typographical concept like white space. Every space is complete with a variety of other dating sites. Want to find an African Queen? Want to date a male over 40? Want to date someone rich? The adverts are there.

Next time I will give you my experience of posting my first messages. I can tell you that so far I have only recieved one email. But more on that later.

No comments: